Friday, August 17, 2012

It Started With a Text

Last night I sent a text to Brandon that said:

I have a crazy idea.

To which he replied:

I LOVE crazy ideas. What is it?

Which is one of the reasons I love him. We are a bit impulsive in our crazy ideas. Drive to California in 1 day - sure! Trade in our mini-van for a
wagon - yep! Buy a complete fixer-upper because we like the staircase - why not?! Just mention that you have a slightly wild idea and both of us jump at the chance.

It was 5:15 and 95 degrees. I was sitting at an outdoor pool watching swimming lessons. What was my idea? Stay for open swim at 6:30 and have Brandon join us. He, of course, was on board. I grabbed teriyaki and cash for the entrance fee. He stopped at the house and got swimsuits and extra towels.

The boys and I were back at the pool having a picnic dinner by 5:30. It was shaping up to be an awesome night! But then I made a quick phone call to my mom and realized I lost the boys. I found all 3 of them in the port-a-potty. Jack was using it, Micah was opening and closing the door, and Finn was trying to see in the hole. I marched them out, told them to sit on the ground, and wrapped up my phone call.

Finn immediately stood up and took off. Jack stayed sitting on the ground but started scooting down the hill. Micah began to climb a tree. Brandon walked up and I said "they are all supposed to be sitting here".

Things deteriorated quickly after that and we ended up leaving the pool. No night swim for us. Lots of crying ensued.

This would have been a better teachable moment if we had just gone home. Instead we went to the beach. Why? Because it was too hot and I couldn't bear to go home yet.

So, what did the boys learn? Disobey and we won't let you go swimming but we will take you to an awesome beach!

Write that down. It's my parenting tip of the day.

No comments: