Monday, March 19, 2012

Good News, Bad News

In our house we do a lot of "Good News/Bad News" announcements.

For example:
"Boys, I have good news/bad news!"
"Bad news first!"
"Bad news it is bath night"
Groans can be heard from 2 of the 3 boys. "What's the good news?"
"I'm too tired, no baths tonight!"
Cheers are heard echoing through the house.

That one is not used as much anymore as bath night was pushed back to a once a week occurrence. Can't really skip bath night if it will be another 7 days until you have one. Boys do start to smell, you know.

We will also say:
"Good news/bad news about dinner!"
"What's the bad news?"
"I'm too tired to cook"
"What's the good news?"
"Pizza or chips and salsa?!"

That one is being used more and more. I would blame it on my job but I work a total of 5 hours, and that just seems pathetic.

But this week we received bad news and not-exactly good news. Jack's blood test came back. The Not-Really-Bad-News but Not-Good-News is that the HIV test came back negative. Which is what we expect, it is the one in 12 weeks that really counts.

The bad news, well, it turns out that even though you subject your baby to immunizations at almost every check up for the first year of life, some of those don't take. Jack was also tested for the HEP B antibodies to make sure that the vaccine worked. And of course, that came back, negative.  No antibodies.  Which means another set of 3 shots for Jack.

Ugh. When the nurse asked if I had any questions, my mind was a blank. I will still relieving the terror of the blood draw and now thinking I had to tell Jack he had to have 3 more shots, plus 1 more blood draw.

Once more we were at the doctors, blanket and goose in hand, asking frantically if there was any other options before the nurse jammed the needle into his arm.  It was over quickly, and our recovery time was better then usual, that is until I told him we had to go back.

Then all hell broke loose.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

It does make you question immunizations, doesn't it? Do this horrible thing to you baby, make him cry and feel sick and miserable, and oh, guess what? It didn't actually work.