Friday, January 21, 2011

A Tale of Two Cookies

Today was Jack's day to be snack star.  For those of you with school-age children, this is a pretty big deal, at least in our house. Jack has been waiting for his turn for a couple of months. When I saw his name on the calendar I was so excited!

Early on this week, I asked Jack what he wanted to take for snack. Since I grocery shop at the beginning of the week, I wanted to purchase his snack at that time. There is nothing I hate more then running to the grocery store the night before to buy just the right snack.

Jack was very clear what he wanted.  Raisins, Animal Cookies, and Apple Slices.

Okay, I thought. A little weird as he doesn't really eat raisins, or animal cookies, but it is his snack. I thought maybe this was a favorite snack among his friends and he wanted to bring something they liked.  Brandon happened to go to the grocery store for me and I was very clear he had to get animal cookies. I made a trip to Costco on Wednesday to get apples. (The Costco trip is a whole other blog post but the end result is I should have stayed home that day)

I am feeling very pleased with myself because I am so ahead of the game. Snack planned and purchased well before Friday.

But then Thursday night I went in and kissed Jack goodnight. I reminded him that he was snack star the next day and that I had his animal cookies and apples. I was ignoring the raisins because he really doesn't  like those.  He said something to me that I didn't quite understand.

"What" I asked
"mumble-mumble" Jack replied
"I don't understand what you are saying" I asked oh-so gently.
"Raisin Oatmeal Cookies"
"WHAT??!!"
"Those are the cookies I want"
"I bought animal cookies, just liked you asked!"
Big crocodile tears and little arms that went around my neck. "But I don't like animal cookies, I wanted to take oatmeal cookies". This was said in between crying.

It's 8:00 on Thursday night, I just woke up from my impromptu nap on the couch, and all I can think about is sitting back down and watching Top Chef.

I explained to him I was sorry but I had already bought animal cookies and that is what his snack would be.  (Yes, I am a cold-heartless mom). I kissed him and left.

30 minutes later, my husband joins me on the couch.

"Ready to watch a show?" I ask
"I think I am going to make cookies for Jack" he said
I look at him.
"I promised him I would make cookies for him to take tomorrow"

I would like to say that, at this point in the story, I jumped up and we had a great cookie-making adventure in the kitchen.  Instead I turned on Parenthood and picked up my blanket.

In the morning there was fresh baked oatmeal cookies for Jack to take to school.  Jack was happy, but not as excited as I thought he might be.

"Thanks Dad" he said, "Mom can I have an English muffin for breakfast?"

Sure, that I can do.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I would have done the same thing....I'm of the old school belief that if you ask for it, that's what you are getting, no backsies. But B sure is a good dad! Hope Jack had a good snack day.