Thursday, April 3, 2008

BFF

I admit it, I am completely addicted to Friends. It has never been a secret that I enjoy this show but lately my fondness for it may have reached an all-time high. Since I had my second child last April, and purchasing a DVR for our bedroom, I have watched Friends every night. At first it was the perfect show for watching during the middle of the night feedings, it didn't matter if the sound was on or not. I was half asleep anyway. Once we made it past the initial ugliness of having a newborn in the house, I would watch Friends during the last feeding when I would put my son to bed. If I was lucky I could get two shows out of it before he fell asleep. Some nights I would stay in the room and watch Friends while I folded laundry or cleaned up. On really bad days, I would go in my room as soon as my husband came home, shut the door, and watch an episode. Yes, I know how bad that sounds, but I also know my limits. There are times when being home with a baby and a two year old is extremely difficult. I remember days of holding my baby trying to rock him to sleep while my two year old watched TV pretty much all day. Or other days when my two year old and I would engage in battle of wills to see who was actually in charge. I did not always come out the winner. Those days I needed the peace and quiet of my room, and a few minutes to pull myself together before continuing with dinner, clean-up, bedtime routine, and of course quality time with my spouse.

Things are much better now. I think I am going to like having a three year old a lot more then a two year old! And I already love having a baby who does not rely on me for 24 hour food nourishment! But I am still watching Friends everyday. In fact, it is the only show recorded on my DVR in my bedroom. I still fold laundry while I watch it, straighten up the room, feed my baby, and take a few moments to myself.

The other night I was out with friends celebrating birthdays. As we made a wish on our dessert, I remembered a scene from the last episode I watched. I mentioned to the group, partly pleased that I even remember a quote - that is a whole nether blog - and as I described it, I heard one friend say: "She talks about them like she knows them". I laughed because, yeah, I guess I do. This past year has had it's good times and it's hard times, and through it all I have watched Friends. I saw Ross and Rachel get together, have a "break", Monica and Chandler continue a secret relationship, and now finally move-in together. The show makes me laugh no matter how many times I have seen it and I would have to say I agree: 'laughter is the best medicine'.

No comments: