Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Best Patient

Today I had a certain kind of doctor appointment. The kind you only go to once a year and pretty much dread it, unless you are pregnant, then it might be kind of cool. Except, most of the time you still dread it, or that just might be me.

When I got dressed today I tried to think of an outfit that would work for both a playdate this morning and a doctor's appointment this afternoon.  Mostly, I wanted easy slip on shoes, that would then be easy to slip off. But I was running late and most of my clothes were dirty. Instead of jeans and Danskos I ended up in a skirt with leggings and boots. So, not what I had in mind, but it was 9:00 and I had to have the kids in the car by 9:30.

Walking back to the exam room, the nurse told me I could put my things in the room before being weighed. Aahh, the dreaded moment had come. Should I take the time to take off my boots in order to reduce the number that would appear on the scale?  I had to make a split second decision, and I decided to just go with it. Because, seriously, how much do my boots weigh?

As I stepped on the scale and waited for the number, the nurse said, "Wow, look at you all confident. You didn't even hesitate to get on that scale. You are the first person all day to not take their shoes off".

Huh. I just laughed and said, "Well, I just figured it is what it is". I didn't say that it seemed silly to take the time to take off my boots. The nurse proceeded to tell me about the woman who removed not only her shoes, but every piece of jewelry she had on.  Because, really your ring weighs at least 5 pounds.

The number that came up was not a number I wanted to see but since it was 3:30 in the afternoon, after my second triple tall latte, and a bagel and cream cheese for lunch, I figured "it is what it is".

The nurse tagged me as her best patient for the day.  I felt honored. I did not tell her that if they had been my Danskos they would have been off. Because those really do weight 5 pounds, at least.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I always plan lightweight clothes to wear and easy off shoes! You are the best patient!!