Sunday, September 19, 2010

Jack's First Day of Preschool - Take Two

If you have been anywhere near me this month this is old news to you. Jack started preschool, again. He is 5, he is not a summer birthday, and yes - he should be in kindergarten. But he is not.

Last spring he had his preschool 'graduation'. I was lackadaisical about the whole affair. My whole family was there, but that was just because we were on our way to Seaside, not because we were celebrating Jack's graduation. He wasn't graduating, he would be back in the same class again this fall.

Summer came and the thoughts of preschool vanished. We had a good summer, lots of camping, trying new adventures, and spending time together. It wasn't until all my friends started 'back-to-school' time that I remembered that Jack was supposed to be starting kindergarten. When school started all my friends on Facebook posted 1st day pictures. I purposely left mine off.

The night before his first day, even though it was the same class, same teacher, and even had friends he knew in it, I still heard: "Mom, I don't want to go to school". And sad tears. The day of school, we picked up his carpool friend and took off. He kissed us all goodbye and went alone into the room. I was just thinking how good preschool was going. He is talking about the day, getting ready in the morning on his own, and excited about going. Until today. It is Sunday night, preschool is tomorrow, and as I was tucking him into bed he said: "Mom, I don't want to go to school."

I'm glad I only have to do this 3 days a week. I am glad we have this year to be with him and to love on him. I hope that next year when he does go to kindergarten, the tears will be few and that he will walk into the room on his own after kissing us goodbye.

But for now, here it is, Jack's first day of preschool - take two:





1 comment:

Michelle said...

I still say "I don't want to go to school!" Some of us are born school haters. Sorry! Give J an extra hug from Ohcho. I know how he feels.